Interpreting and Translation Services
The City of Kentwood offers the following language services to ensure residents are able to engage in local government:
City WebsiteWeb Content: City website translation is available through Google Translate which is embedded into the website. It is located in the top right corner of the website and allows for translation into more than 100 languages.
Document Translation: Please click HERE to utilize Google’s document translation service.
Public Meetings and Hearings
Persons who need language interpretation services may contact the City Clerk at eClerk@kentwood.us or 616.554.0730 at least 36 hours before the meeting to make arrangements for accommodation. Subject to established procedures, additional time will be allowed during public comment periods if translation services are needed.
In-Person and Over-the-Phone Services:
Language Line Solutions, an interpreter and translation services company, is utilized for interpretation and translation services in a variety of ways:
- Desktop displays notify individuals that interpreter services are available (stated in 20 languages)
- City employees, including road crew, police and fire employees, have Language ID Cards for individuals to use to point to their language
- With advance notice, the City will provide interpreter services at public meetings, including language translation and an ASL interpreter for those with hearing impairments
- If a document needs to be translated, the Title VI Coordinator will have the document translated and provided to the requestor as soon as possible
- If someone calls into our office speaking another language, every attempt is made to keep that individual on the line until the appropriate interpreter can be identified and conferenced in so staff can provide the requested assistance
Dial 711 to use Hamilton Relay in Michigan. If you are traveling out of state or you are in a state that is not served by Hamilton Relay, you can place interstate calls by calling: