Civil Division

62-B District Court

62-B District Court Civil Division

The Civil Division is responsible for the handling of civil claims up to $25,000. If your civil matter exceeds $25,000, then you must file with the appropriate circuit court. Cases with damages exceeding $25,000 should be filed in Circuit Court.

62-B District Court Civil Division Fee Schedule 
Venue for General Civil Jurisdiction
Court Officers Contact Information

Summary Proceedings Jurisdiction
The District Court has jurisdiction over summary proceedings for evictions in landlord tenant, land contract forfeitures, and evictions after the redemption period has ended after a mortgage foreclosure. See the landlord tenant tab for more information about Summary Proceedings.

Small Claims Jurisdiction
The District Court has jurisdiction over all Small Claims cases with damages up to $5,500. Attorneys are not allowed to represent anyone in Small Claims court and there are no jury trials.  The matter will be heard by the court's attorney magistrate.

How to File a General civil Pleading

To file a General Civil pleading, please complete this online form and:
  1. Attach your form, motion or other filing as a Word Document or PDF. Attach the form, not a link to the form, as the court cannot sign into a remote/cloud server. Exhibits should be attached as a PDF. Commonly used forms are available here: General Civil Forms 
  2. Your pleading must be electronically signed with an electronic encryption program that ensures authenticity. If not signed appropriately, the filing will not be accepted.
  3. Please contact the court directly to pay the appropriate filing fee at 616.554.0713.
  4. The original filing is to be mailed to the court at:

62-B District Court
4740 Walma Ave. SE
Kentwood, MI 49512

Civil Division Fee Schedule 


 Claims up to $600.00  $35
 Claims from $600.01 to $1,750.00 $55 
 Claims from $1,750.01 to $10,000.00 $75 
 Claims from $10,000.01 to $25,000.00 $160 
 Claim and Delivery - Possession only $75 
 Claim and Delivery up to $600.00 $110 
 Claim and Delivery up to $1,750.00 $130 
 Claim and Delivery up to $10,000.00 $150 
 Claim and Delivery up to $25,000.00 $235 

Court Officer $26 + Mileage

 Jury Demand   $50
Motion Fee  $20 
Certified Copies   $10 
Judgment Liens   $10 
Abstract of Court Records  $10 
Un-Certified Copy of Court Records   $2 for the first page
$0.25 for each additional page 

 Order of Eviction  $15
Writ of Garnishment    $15
Request & Order to Seize Property   $15 
Subpoena on Discovery   $15 

 Order of Eviction  $40
Writ of Garnishment    $23 + miles
Request & Order to Seize Property   $40 + % 
Subpoena on Discovery   $26 + mileage

Record Search

To search Records please click here.

Venue for General Civil Jurisdiction 

As a general rule, venue in the 62-B District Court General Civil Division is proper if the defendant resides in Kentwood or conducts business in Kentwood or the registered office of a corporate defendant is located in Kentwood.  See MCLA 600.1621.


59th District Court (Grandville) - Encompasses the City of Grandville
3161 Wilson Avenue SW
Grandville, MI 49418

59th District Court (Walker) - Encompasses the City of Walker
4343 Remembrance Road NW
Walker, MI 49534

61st District Court (Grand Rapids) - Encompasses the City of Grand Rapids
180 Ottawa NW
Grand Rapids, MI 49503

62-A District Court (Wyoming) - Encompasses the City of Wyoming
2650 DeHoop Avenue SW
Wyoming, MI 49509

62-B District Court (Kentwood) - Encompasses the City of Kentwood
4740 Walma Ave SE
Kentwood, MI 49512

63rd District Court (Kent County) Encompasses the Cities of: Cedar Springs, East Grand Rapids, Kent City, Lowell, and Rockford; and all of the Villages and Townships in Kent County.
1950 E Beltline Avenue NE
Grand Rapids, MI 49525

Kent County Street Directory to Determine in Which City or Township an Address is Located. When you click on this link, the Kent County Street Directory will appear. You can use the Find Feature to locate a street by pressing Ctrl-F and then inputting the name of the street. The third column will inform you if Both (B) sides of the street or just the Odd (O) side of the street or the Even side of the street are in a particular jurisdiction. The fifth column will inform you of the proper political jurisdiction.

Map of the City of Kentwood This is a detailed Adobe PDF version of the map that will allow you to zoom in to the street level and search by street names. This map may take considerable time to download over slower (dial-up) connections.

Contact the Kentwood Civil Clerk 
To contact our civil clerk, please call 616.554.0713. Thank you!