Verify your voter registration, see your voting location, view your sample ballot and track the status of your absentee ballot at the Michigan Voter Information Center.
2019 ELECTION SCHEDULE
The next election for Kentwood voters in 2019 is the November 5, 2019 City Commission election. Voters will select three Kentwood City Commissioners (one each for Ward 1, Ward 2, and At-Large). Commissioners serve for a four year term and the election is non-partisan. Polls are open from 7 am to 8 pm. See below for information on voter registration, voting locations and absentee ballots.
The following candidates will appear on the November 5 ballot:
Commissioner, Ward 1 (vote for one): Robert D. Coughlin
Commissioner, Ward 2 (vote for one): Bill Benoit or Ron Draayer
Commissioner, At-large (vote for one): Maurice H. Groce
Additional information for voters and candidates can be found on the Kent County Elections website. Information on the City Commission can be found at the Kentwood City Commission webpage.
The Michigan Bureau of Elections has created a YouTube video for Michigan voters, "A Voter's Guide to Voting" which explains what to expect when you appear at your voting location on election day.
For prior election results, visit Kent County Election Results.
For voter registration and elections inquiries, contact email@example.com or 616.554.0730.
Election and Voter Information:
Voter Registration Absentee Ballot Information Voting Locations Election Workers
When you move into the State of Michigan or if you move from one municipality to another within the State you must register to vote. Complete the State of Michigan form: Michigan Voter Registration/Change of Address Form
Where to Register to Vote
Register in person at any of the following offices:
- City Clerk's Office, 4900 Breton Ave. SE, Kentwood
- Any Secretary of State Branch Office
- County Clerk's Office, 300 Monroe Ave NW, Grand Rapids
- State Agencies:
- Family Independance Agency
- Department of Community Health
- Michigan Jobs Commission
Re-register to vote if you move or if you change your name as a result of marriage or court order.
Change your address online at: Michigan Department of State: Update Address Online
Who is Eligible to Vote?
You are qualified to vote if you are:
- A citizen of the U.S.
- At least 18 years of age on or before the next scheduled election
- Have been a resident of Kentwood, Michigan for at least 30 days before the election
- Have registered prior to appearing at your voting location on election day:
- Register in person or by mail up to 15 days prior to election day (Oct 21 for Nov 5 election) at the City or County Clerk's office, Secretary of State office, or a State designated voter registration agency (listed above).
- Within 14 days of the election (up to and including Election day), register in person at the City Clerk's office, 4900 Breton Ave SE, providing proof of identity (photo ID) and proof of residence. A Michigan driver's license or state ID with current residence address satisfies both requirements.
- Photo ID = Michigan driver's license or state ID; current license or ID from another state; federal or state government issued photo ID; US passport; student ID with photo; military ID card with photo; or tribal ID card with photo.
- Residence (must include applicant's name and current address) = Utility bill; bank statement; paycheck; government check; or other government document.
- On Election day, a voter may choose to either vote an absentee ballot at the City Clerk's office or receive a receipt and travel to their precinct/voting location and vote a ballot.
ELECTION WORKERS: The City of Kentwood is looking for friendly people who are detail oriented and comfortable working with computers. To apply to be an election worker, complete an application and return it to the City Clerk's Office. View information on working for elections for the City of Kentwood.
Obtaining an Absent Voter Ballot
If you are a registered voter within the City of Kentwood you may obtain an Absent Voter Ballot from the Kentwood City Clerk's office. You must request an absentee ballot in writing, and may submit the application in person or by mail, email, or fax. You are not required to declare a reason for requesting an absentee ballot.
Apply for a Ballot by:
- letter or postcard noting full name, election date, registered address, and mailing address, with signature and date
- absentee ballot application
- in person at the Kentwood City Clerk's office
- if you are eligible, with a Federal Postcard Application (for military/overseas voters)
Deadline to apply for an absentee ballot by mail is 5 p.m. on Friday prior to the election. You may request an absentee ballot in person the Saturday before election day. Registered voters may vote an absentee ballot in person at the Kentwood City Clerk's office up until 4 p.m. on the day before the election. If you register to vote in the Clerk's office on election day, you may vote an absentee ballot at that time.
Permanent Absent Voter List: The Kentwood City Clerk's office maintains a Permanent Absent Voter List. Permanent AVs are mailed an application for an absentee ballot prior to every election held in the City. If you choose to vote in person or decline to vote in an election, you can disregard the mailed application. The application must be completed and returned to the Clerk's office to receive an absentee ballot.
To be placed on the permanent absent voter list, complete this form or make a request by mail, email, by phone, or in person, providing your name, address, and year of birth to the Kentwood City Clerk, PO Box 8848, Kentwood, 49518; firstname.lastname@example.org; 616.698.9610; or in person at 4900 Breton Ave. SE.
The precinct or polling place is where you go to cast your ballot. The polls are open from 7 a.m. until 8 p.m. and you vote at your assigned polling place on Election Day. If you do not know your Ward and Precinct, check your Voter ID card or call the City Clerk's office.
View the City of Kentwood Precinct Map
|1||1, 4, 5||Kentwood Activities Center||355 - 48th St|
|1||2||St. Mary Magdalen Church||1213 - 52nd St|
|1||3, 6||Kelloggsville Chr Ref Church||610 - 52nd St|
|1||7||Kentwood Christian Church||5841 Kalamazoo Ave|
|1||8||Princeton Chr Ref Church||5330 Kalamazoo Ave|
|1||9||Grand Rapids Baptist Church||4525 Stauffer Ave|
|2||10||St. Marks Lutheran Church||1934 - 52nd St|
|2||11||African Comm Fellowship Ch||4275 Shaffer Ave|
|2||12||Kentwood Library||4950 Breton Ave|
|2||13, 15||St. Paul United Methodist Ch||3334 Breton Ave|
|2||14, 18||East Paris Chr Ref Church||3065 East Paris Ave|
|2||16||Church of the Servant||3835 Burton St|
|2||17||Pentecostals of Kentwood||2627 - 44th St SE|