City of Kentwood Seeks Donations for Little Free Pantry
The City of Kentwood is encouraging local businesses, organizations and community members to gather donations to help replenish the shelves at the Little Free Pantry.
Kentwood’s Little Free Pantry is a free resource that provides food to community members in need. Anyone can give to and take from the pantry, with no questions asked and no application needed.
The pantry operates year-round and has two locations: One is at the Kentwood Activities Center, 355 48th St. SE, and the other is at the Kent District Library – Kentwood (Richard L. Root) Branch, 4950 Breton Ave. SE.
The Little Free Pantry has seen an increase in use over the past few years and is in immediate need of donations. Preferred donation items include canned and nonperishable food items and personal care items. A list of suggestions can be found at kentwood.us/LittleFreePantry.
“In the past, the Little Free Pantry has stayed stocked thanks to food drives and donations from our generous community,” said Val Romeo, director of parks and recreation. “We typically see a lot of donations around the holiday season, but there is need all year.
“We’re urging community members to donate a little earlier than normal this year. Whether it’s a handful of canned goods donated by an individual, an entire food drive put on by a local business or a financial contribution, any donation helps families in our community.”
The pantry has several donation drop-off locations throughout Kentwood. Collection hours and locations are as follows:
- Kentwood Activities Center, 355 48th St. SE: Donations may be dropped off 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Friday.
- Kentwood City Hall, 4900 Breton Ave. SE: Donations may be placed inside the collection bin 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday, Wednesday and Thursday, 7:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. Tuesday and 7:30 a.m. to noon Friday.
- Kent District Library – Kentwood (Richard L. Root) Branch, 4950 Breton Ave. SE: Donations may be placed inside the collection bin located in the lobby from 9:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Thursday, 9:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. Friday, 9:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday and 1-5 p.m. Sunday.
- Kentwood Justice Center, 4740 Walma Ave. SE: Donations may be placed inside the collection bin 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.
- Kentwood Public Works, 5068 Breton Ave. SE: Donations may be placed inside the collection bin 6:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Kentwood’s Little Free Pantry initiative began in 2017 as a Martin Luther King Jr. Day community service project to fill an immediate and local need. A second location was added in 2021.
To make a financial donation or find more information about Kentwood’s Little Free Pantry, visit kentwood.us/LittleFreePantry.