You can view the city ordinance at Municode here, or from this list of ordinances.
The following rules are in accordance with state law, which was adopted in 2019. Fireworks are allowed only during the following days and times:
- From 11 a.m. on Dec. 31 until 1 a.m. on Jan. 1
- The Saturday and Sunday immediately preceding Memorial Day from 11 a.m. to 11:45 p.m. on each of those days
- June 29 to July 4 from 11 a.m. to 11:45 p.m. on each of those days
- July 5, if that date is a Friday or Saturday, from 11 a.m. to 11:45 p.m.
- The Saturday and Sunday immediately preceding Labor Day from 11 a.m. to 11:45 p.m. on each of those days
Fireworks are not allowed other than on these permitted days. Violation can result in a penalty.What are legal fireworks?
Examples of legal fireworks include firecrackers, bottle rockets, roman candles, and certain aerial shells not exceeding 1.75 inches in diameter. Low impact and novelty fireworks are still legal and not regulated under this ordinance.
Low-impact fireworks are ground-based or handheld devices that produce a shower of white, gold, or color sparks as their primary pyrotechnic effect, with additional effects such as flame, or audible crackling effect, or audible whistle effect. Examples include cylindrical, cone and wheel fountains, smoke devices, ground spinners and certain sparklers. Novelty fireworks include plastic and paper caps for toy pistols, party poppers, snappers, toy smoke devices, snakes and glow worms, and certain wire sparklers.
Burning leaves is not permitted in the City of Kentwood. During specific times of the year, the City has leaf drop-off available to residents at no cost.
Recreational Fires and Outdoor Fire Pits
Open burning is not allowed in the City of Kentwood. You may use an approved contained fireplace to burn wood. It must have a bottom pan, a screen around the sides, and a lid covering it. When using an approved fireplace there are a few rules:
- an adult must be present
- a hose or extinguisher must be in the area
- only burn logs
- you may not use it on a deck
- only use on grass, sand or driveway
Chapter 18 - EMERGENCY SERVICES AND EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT
Chapter 22 - FIRE PREVENTION AND PROTECTION