Kentwood Launches Parks, Trails and Recreation Advisory Committee
The City of Kentwood has assembled a community-based Parks, Trails and Recreation Advisory Committee to plan for the City’s future.
“The City Commission has asked residents to perform a needed and exciting review process,” Kentwood Mayor Stephen Kepley said. “This level of community input is paramount to ensure detailed visionary planning is performed today to preserve Kentwood’s excellent quality of life over the next 50 years.”
The advisory committee, which held its first meeting on Monday, June 3 with 21 members, was established to review and prioritize improvements to Kentwood’s parks, trails and recreational programming to align with the needs of the community.
The advisory committee provides broad community representation and is comprised of Parks and Recreation commissioners, City Commission’s AD HOC Strategic Planning Committee members, Planning commissioners, residents and business owners.
During the group’s first meeting, Ed Kape, who currently serves on Planning Commission and as chair of the Parks and Recreation Commission, was named chair of the new advisory committee. Dustin Moseley, a Parks and Recreation commissioner, was named vice chair.
“Kentwood’s park system is near and dear to my heart. Having been a part of the community for 28 years, I’ve seen how we have grown,” Kape said. “Now we need to plan for the next 50 years and determine how we can continue to provide quality parks amenities for our community. I’m excited to be involved in this process.”
Following are all advisory committee members:
- Robert Coughlin, City commissioner (Strategic Planning Committee), Parks and Recreation commissioner
- Jessica Dennis, Tiffin University, community member
- Christopher Furner, Worksighted Inc., community member
- Mark Giles, Steelcase, community member
- Jill Gorkowski, Spectrum Health, community member
- Maurice Groce, City commissioner (Strategic Planning Committee)
- Olivia Jenison-Bailey, Parks and Recreation commissioner
- Karmen Johnson, Fifth Third Bank, community member
- Ed Kape, Parks and Recreation commissioner, Planning commissioner
- Stephen Kepley, City of Kentwood mayor, Strategic Planning Committee member
- Mimi Madden, Parks and Recreation commissioner
- Wallace Massie, Parks and Recreation commissioner
- Trent Meyer, Parks and Recreation commissioner
- David Moore, Parks and Recreation commissioner
- Dustin Moseley, Parks and Recreation commissioner
- Darius Quinn, Planning commissioner
- Laurie Sheldon, City of Kentwood treasurer
- Adam Shilling, YMCA of Greater Grand Rapids, community member
- Kevin Small, Parks and Recreation commissioner
- Billy Smith, retired, community member
- Travis Tate, Dan Vos Construction Company, community member
The committee will hold approximately nine meetings from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. on the first and third Mondays of every month. Over the course of those meetings, the group will review the Parks and Recreation Business Plan, Parks Master Plan and Non-Motorized Trail Plan and recommend an implementation and sustainable funding plan to the City Commission by December 2019.